Skip to content

Reply To: Multicomponent flow- water droplet splashing

OpenLB – Open Source Lattice Boltzmann Code Forums on OpenLB General Topics Multicomponent flow- water droplet splashing Reply To: Multicomponent flow- water droplet splashing

Julius
Participant

Hello Frank,

In my second post I indeed did not use the maxwell construction rule to show that the simulation follows the young-laplace law. The results show the same trend, but are quite dissimilar.

If you look at the difference between droplet center pressure minus the pressure far away, that pressure difference increases linearly with 1/r. This is the young-laplace law.

If you look at the difference between droplet center density minus the equilibrium density, it increases linearly with 1/r. It follows the same trend as the laplace law and has a similar origin, but is an aphysical phenomena. In the pseudopotential method, the “liquid phase” is slightly compressible (real liquids are not). Since the pressure increases due to the young-laplace, that compresses the liquid as well, thus increasing the density.

I can’t help you with the multicomponent case since I am not working with it. I’ll be releaseing my thermal multiphase code soon (1-2 weeks). That should feature the laplace pressure test.

I hope that answeres your question.

Regards.