Skip to content

Reply To: Rotating Geometries

Adrian
Keymaster

Yes, I am referring to possibility of using the resolved particle code with adapted particle dynamics to model “non-particulate” flows (this won’t get you general purpose FSI due to e.g. the lack of deformability but it should work for many kinds of rotating geometries)

Immersed boundary is the common approach for coupling a structural solver to LBM, however it is not the only one – e.g. the homogenized LBM approach utilized in OpenLB is just as capable for this (i.e. this is the underlying model of the resolved particle code).

I would suggest you start by modifying the settling cube case to only contain a single cube and then adapt the particle dynamics (there is documentation on this in the user guide) to restrict / drive its rotation. You are right that this would be a nice example to have in OpenLB.

In any case: Our annual Spring School will for the first time offer a separate track for advanced users to work together with members of the core developer team on such more complex topics beyond the scope of the normal LBM and OpenLB introduction. This could be a nice setting for collaborating on this.