Skip to content

Aeroacoustic simulation in OpenLB

OpenLB – Open Source Lattice Boltzmann Code Forums on OpenLB General Topics Aeroacoustic simulation in OpenLB

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    adsier
    Participant

Hello,

In literature you can find many examples of using LBM for aeroacoustics. Commercial LBM solvers (mainly PowerFlow) were used in most of these calculations.

My question is as follows – does OpenLB at the current level of code advancement allow such analyzes? If not, what’s missing?

Regards,
    Adam

mathias
    Keymaster

Dear Adam,

incompressible, yes; compressible, no (here, is an LB model missing plus its implementation).

Best
    Mathias

adsier
    Participant

Dear Mathias,

Thank you for quick reply.

I am not sure if I understand your answer. I have some experience with N-S (RANS/URANS) solvers, but the LBM method is completely new for me.

I thought that when we consider the aeroacoustic simulation in LBM method, we solve both the flow and acoustic propagation (direct CAA approach). The question is how it is possible if you make an assumption of incompressible flow? Or maybe I miss something?

Specifically, I am interested in predicting noise generated by a quad-copter.

Regards,
    Adam

mathias
    Keymaster

You can use a wall-modelled LES approach in LBM.

adsier
    Participant

Dear Mathias,

Yes, I think that wall-modelled LES approach would be ok for this purpose.

Coming back to the question about compressibility. In literature I found the following statement:

The latttice-Boltzmann method is well-suited for the aeroacoustics applications since it is a Lagrangian
    method based on a stream-and-collide scheme, and is inherently unsteady and compressible and thus physically deals with sound pressure waves. (https://arc.aiaa.org/doi/10.2514/6.2016-2969)

How does this relate to what you wrote about the possibility of performing analyzes as incompressible?

Regards,
    Adam

mathias
    Keymaster

One problem for practical applications are wall reflections on curved boundaries — I guess that this is not so easy..

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.