Skip to content

CFD simulation parameters for Architecture

OpenLB – Open Source Lattice Boltzmann Code Forums on OpenLB General Topics CFD simulation parameters for Architecture

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    svichare
    Participant

Hi all,

I am new to CFD with regards to LBM solvers and OpenLB. I have worked with OpenFoam before but very curious about LBM solvers and their application in Architecture specifically. OpenLB seems to be a great software for that purpose. My interest also lies in running these simulations on GPU so I can get a quicker result.

I apologise if my questions have any obvious answers as I am not familiar with LBM solvers or CFD.
    I have been through the documentation and run a few examples and benchmarks successfully.
    Although I am struggling to get a grasp on the settings and parameters I can manipulate to achieve the simulations I want to perform.

My objectives:
    1. Simulate windtunnel conditions for architectural building models at life-size scale.
    Currently I am only able to perform these simulations with Cylinder 3D example at 400mm width scale.
    I have some basic understanding of setting proper resolution for such cases with voxel sizes and stl sizes.
    Ideally I would like to perform simulations with windtunnel geometries at scale of 200meters x 1000meters.
    Maybe bigger than that too. Is this achievable?

2. My understanding is I can set the initial conditions about inflow air velocity by manipulating maxVelocity parameter. Although at higher speeds it fails. Is it because of charPhysVelocity parameter? If yes, what is the relation of these two paramters?

3. To achieve the “correct” urban scale airflow modelling, I need to apply a wind profile with incremental speeds at incremental heights as the initial condition.Could you please provide any reference or material I can go through to understand how can i set that.

I would greatly appreciate if you could provide me any answers or references to other material/documentation I can go through.

Cheers
    Srujan

mathias
    Keymaster

Dear Srujan,

A good start intro OpenLB is our spring school. We also help you there to set up your problem. Besides, we can also help you in the framework of common project. Also consider to be a member of the consortium. Then, we could develop OpenLB in a direction which is valuable for you/your company.
    1/ Seems possible, of cause it depends on your available HPC ressouces
    2/ That is a difficult question to anwer here in the forum. There can be many causes of instability. There is a lecture on it in the spring school and in the Krüger book.
    3/ You can define your own function (analytical functor in SI units) and use it to set any velocity.

Best
    Mathias

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.