Skip to content

Explanation of waterAirflatInterface2d example

OpenLB – Open Source Lattice Boltzmann Code Forums on OpenLB General Topics Explanation of waterAirflatInterface2d example

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    CWhalley_1
    Participant

Hi all,

I have been looking into the newly added multi component example, waterAirflatInterface2d with the goal to modify a copy to simulate a liquid being injected into an air cross flow.
    In trying to do this I have run into a couple of problems, the first main problem being that no matter what I have tried so far the first step always returns as an error, giving ‘Not a Number’. Whilst trying to identify what is causing this I have been trying to understand what each of the variables are, however I am a bit confused about some of them. I believe I understand most of them however if someone could please explain what T_c, p_c, g_I, and g_II are that would be much appreciated.

The second main problem has been that I have not been able to apply inlets and an outlet to the system. I have so far tried using
    ‘setInterpolatedVelocityBoundary<T,DESCRIPTOR, BulkDynamics>’ at the inlets and ‘setInterpolatedPressureBoundary<T,DESCRIPTOR, BulkDynamics>’ at the outlet.
    I have been able to run the program using these boundary conditions, however when the initial conditions, at time 0, are visualised using ParaView these boundaries are not being shown as I had expected. Any suggestions regarding this issue would also be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help,

Callum

TimBingert
    Participant

Hi Callum,

are you sure you haven’t changed something about the case setup? When I download, unpack and compile OLB1.7 the waterAirflatInterface2d case works for me. This model uses an empirical Peng-Robinson equation of state with Huron-Vidal mixing rules, which will explain the parameters that you are wondering about.
    About adding inlet and outlet boundary conditions: This model is designed to show how well this multi-component pseudo-potential can recreate thermodynamic equilibrium for the multi-component mixture. This model will need more specific implementation at least when it comes to the outflow/pressure boundary condition, as there won’t be a constant pressure at the outflow for such a multi-phase fluid because of surface tension effects.

I hope this can clarify your questions.

Tim

CWhalley_1
    Participant

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the response, I will be sure to check out the Peng-Robinson equation of state with Huron-Vidal mixing rules to get a better understanding of the parameters. I have managed to get it working without any boundary conditions, I had made a few mistakes when altering the geometry.
    Regarding the outflow is there a different boundary condition that I should try using that can be more easily implemented?

Kind Regards,

Callum

TimBingert
    Participant

Hi Callum,

this outflow boundary condition topic is also a part of my current or future research, so I can’t give a final answer. But I read about a convective type boundary condition which might help in that case, but this is not more than a hint. Glad you managed to find your bug.

Kind regards
    Tim

CWhalley_1
    Participant

Hi Tim,

I did see the convection type boundary condition, I will have a look into implementing this into my model.
    Thanks for your assistance and best wishes for your current and future research.

Thanks,
    Callum

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.