Skip to content

Ideas for identifying the ‘inlet’ boundary region

OpenLB – Open Source Lattice Boltzmann Code Forums on OpenLB General Topics Ideas for identifying the ‘inlet’ boundary region

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    manash.pb
    Participant

Hi all,
    I am simulating airflow through a human nose. The geometry is taken from an STL file and I want to identify and set the nostrils as the inlet plane. As the structure of the nostril opening is not a proper geometrical shape (not a circle or ellipse and both the nostrils are very closely placed), I am having difficulty in identifying the regions through an IndicatorFunction. Is there a smarter and better way to define the boundary regions? For ex, maybe a list of coordinates may be read from a file, which corresponds to the face centers of the STL triangles making up the plane? Any suggestions will be helpful!
    Thanks and Regards,
    Manash

mathias
    Keymaster

Dear Manash,

you can work with intersections of geometry primitives (indicators) like cylinders, cuboids, etc. with the actualy generated voxel mesh by and stl-file or you may extend the region growing apporach (https://www.openlb.net/DoxyGen/html/d3/d2a/classolb_1_1BlockGeometryStructure3D.html#aa1a30cd27881b163d0486556769fcc70) to the superGeometry implementation, which is only available for blockGeometries at the momenent.

Best
    Mathias

manash.pb
    Participant

Hi,
    Thanks for your reply. I have been trying with different geometries, but still not successful till now. Regarding the region growing, how can I get the iX, iY, iZ for the seed point (I guess these are the lattice coordinate values). How can I access the lattice coordinate values corresponding to the physical coordinates (which I can get from Paraview for the boundary face)?

Manash

mathias
    Keymaster

Dear Manash,

You need to write a new method which starts the reagion growing for any point within an idicator, lets say asphere, which intersections with a particular material number, e.g. 2, to start the algirthm. But keep in mind that you need to program the parallel region growing algorithm first. Within a colaboration we could help you further but that needs some efford.

Best
    Mathias

manash.pb
    Participant

Hi,
    Thanks for the reply. I guess I will try to work with the geometry primitives for now. My knowledge of OpenLB (and LBM methods in general) is still a bit sketchy. I would like to spend some time on improving my understanding (of whatever is available in OpenLB) for now. Maybe, at a later phase, I will think about writing methods of my own. I will also look towards attending a OpenLB summer school training in the future to learn better.

Regards,
    Manash

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.