Skip to content

importing stl geometry files (cylinder3d)

OpenLB – Open Source Lattice Boltzmann Code Forums on OpenLB General Topics importing stl geometry files (cylinder3d)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    behnamandi
    Participant

Hi there.
    I have an application similar to cylinder3d problem. However the geometry is different. its a 200micrometer pipe with some structures on it. https://ibb.co/gqZpwz . I have been trying to import it instead of the cylinder3d.stl file. but it does not work. can someone help me realize what im doing wrong. I have read somewhere that i might have to rework the material number part of the code. is this true? Any help would be highly appreciated. The user guide is not very clear for importing stl files, thats why I came here.

Thanks in advance

Behnam Andi

mathias
    Keymaster

Dear Andi,

You can also have a look at the aorta3d example for stl handling. What you need to do is first define the flow domain by geometry primitives (which can be an stl-file but also availabe ones like a cylinder or a cube, see venturi3d example). Then, you need to chance the material numbers also by geometry primitives. We show that step by step by means of a tutorial at our next spring school.

Best
    Mathias

behnamandi
    Participant

Thanks Mathias,

Do you address phase changing in your spring school as well?

behnamandi
    Participant

sorry. im not sure what you mean by primitives

mathias
    Keymaster

1/ No, a section on “phase changing” approaches would we to advance for the spring school. We have a section on multi-phase/component methods. See the program here: http://www.openlb.net/spring-school-program

2/ For complex geometires I would directly work with an stl-file and not combine cylinders etc. – but you could.

Mathias

behnamandi
    Participant

Thats my question exactly. because it takes too much time to do it like the venturie example and that only works for smooth surfaces. in my case, my pipe might not have smooth inner surface. so, i was wondering what the best way and if the material assignment is the only part of the code that i need to modify for the stl file to work.

mathias
    Keymaster

Yes, the material modification needs to be adapted as well as the setting of boundary conditions. But that needs to be done carefully. I would do it step by step looking at the geometry output file with paraview.

behnamandi
    Participant

thanks for the tips. I’ll give it a try and well let you know if it works

behnamandi
    Participant

Hi again,

I was unable to import my geometry into the code. I keep getting segmentation errors. Is there any documents which explains how to import a specific geometry into a code? this is quite urgent. would appreciate some help. Thanks

mathias
    Keymaster

Depending on the actual geometry, you need to change the material numbers “by hand”. That is mentioned in the pdf documentation. We have also a spring school in Feb. 2019 where we explain it step-by-step! Best Mathias

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.