Skip to content

Local refinement

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Ali Fauze
    Participant

Hello,

I would like to ask about the possibility to apply local refinement in OpenLB (like the local meshing in the FVM). Is this feature currently available in OpenLB?
    If so, could you please direct me to any helpful documentation or resources? And if it’s not, are there plans to integrate it soon?

Best regards,

Ali FAUZE

Adrian
    Keymaster

There are long standing plans to integrate adaptive mesh refinement in OpenLB but the only publicly available implementation of this is back from my undergraduate thesis (2D only).

The main issue for implementing computationally efficient general-purpose mesh refinement is that there is both not a clear “best approach” in LBM (AMR is an active research topic) and that an efficient and widely applicable implementation will require extensive modifications of core aspects of OpenLB’s design. Some colleague of mine will work on this in the coming years but don’t expect anything very soon.

Of course this is only speaking about what we want for mesh refinement as a large scale feature – if your concrete requirements are restricted (e.g. only static refinement within the current cuboid decomposition) an implementation is much easier.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.