Skip to content

maximum resolution (# of voxels) of OpenLB

OpenLB – Open Source Lattice Boltzmann Code Forums on OpenLB General Topics maximum resolution (# of voxels) of OpenLB

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Krongrath

Hi,

I plan to run a 3D LB simulation for a porous media. The pore of this media is a collection of random spheres with different sizes. I would like to get your help answering these questions.

1) What is the maximum numbers of voxels that OpenLB can handle for 3D simulation?
    2) I would like to keep the maximum diameter of the spheres to be 1/10 of the entire sample block. What would be the reasonable minimum diameter given the maximum numbers of voxels from the previous question? I know that I can technically go down to one voxel but I would like to get opinions from the developers.

Thank you in advance,
    Krongrath

mathias
    Keymaster

Dear Krongrath,

1/ Actually, there is no limit but for the used hardware. The bigger the used maschine the bigger the simulation you can run. We do simulate about 1 billon cells on about 1000 cores.
    2/ I would run a convergence study to answer the question. Chosing one fixed geometry and solve it by varying the resolution. Then, you will know what resultion gives you what error.

BEst
    Mathias

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.