Skip to content

mixing simulation in 1.6 with free surface

OpenLB – Open Source Lattice Boltzmann Code Forums on OpenLB General Topics mixing simulation in 1.6 with free surface

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    wolfgang
    Participant

Hello,
    I am looking to run a mixing simulation using OLB with a air-liquid interface and two different solutions in the liquid phase. I was before trying to implement a free surface in 1.5 and was having difficulties but the new update and implementation has been a real help, so I must say thank you very much to the OpenLB team for your work on that. I was recently having some trouble trying to figure out the best way to simulate the mixing between the two liquids. My idea was to overlap a ADE superlattice with a FreeSurface superlattice and try to lock the mass transfer to only exist in the liquid phase, but just today I noticed a “TEMP_MASS_EXCHANGE” structure in the FreeSurface descriptor in the fallingDrop3d example. Since there isnt a guide out, I was wondering if someone could explain what this is. I presume based on the name that it is something that will allow me to perform mass exchange between cells so that I can have the two liquids mixing. Any information that you could provide about this object would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,

Maximilian
    Participant

Hello Wolfgang,

I’m very happy to hear that our most recent update has been helpful to you.

Regarding your question: Generally speaking, the mass exchange is used for the calculations of interface cells that are found between liquid and gas cells (see e.g. Thürey, Nils, C. Körner, and U. Rüde. “Interactive free surface fluids with the lattice Boltzmann method.” Technical Report05-4. University of Erlangen-Nuremberg, Germany (2005)).

The exact details, however, are too complex to elaborate on here: We are always open to the possibility of providing further support within a joint collaboration project.

I hope you all the best in your research.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.