Skip to content

OpenLB for external turbulent detached flow?

OpenLB – Open Source Lattice Boltzmann Code Forums on OpenLB General Topics OpenLB for external turbulent detached flow?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    ij
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I have been using the time over the holidays to check out openLB.
    I have been working through the examples and wanted to set up the Ahmed body validation case.

In building out the test case it seems to me that OpenLB is not yet ideal for external vehicle flow, with detached flow and Re>100k? Or am I missing something?

I assume wall functions are out, since dealing with detached flow, Smagorinsky Turbulence model should have y+ = 1 (read that somewhere on the internet, not claiming this is correct) and without local lattice refinement that leads to a massive dataset, short timesteps resulting in massive compute effort.

I have no practical experience with LBM until three days ago, so please correct me where I go wrong?
    I read a lot about LBM becoming more common in car aerodynamics and have friends that are using ExaPowerflow pretty succesfully.

Do you know about any other openSource LBM codes I could use for those projects? My actual goal is to simulate running animals (horses/different strides etc.) and the ability to revoxelize quickly during run time seemed like a big advantage over OpenFoam.

Thanks and have a great start into 2024!

FBukreev
    Keymaster

Hello,

we are actually working on mesh refinement and wall functions. If you want to simulate a moving body, I can recommend you to test the settlingCube3d example in examples/particles/ where our homogenized LBM ansatz is used. It is the most efficient way to simulate the moving an changing geometries, because they are treated as porosity fields. We are also always ready for a new cooperative projects if you want to develop such a case with HLBM, mesh refinement and wall function.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.