Skip to content

other non-Newtonian constitutive models

OpenLB – Open Source Lattice Boltzmann Code Forums on OpenLB General Topics other non-Newtonian constitutive models

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    grasingerm
    Participant

I see there is support for simulating power-law non-Newtonian fluids, but I am actually interested in other non-Newtonian constitutive models (e.g. Bingham, Carreau, etc.). Does anyone know of documentation which outlines how to do this?

I have some experience implementing these models in my own LBM code by adjusting the collision frequency locally as a function of the shear rate. Perhaps a similar thing can be done in OpenLB? Is this how the power-law model is implemented?

Adrian
    Keymaster

OpenLB offers quite a lot of flexibility for extending and recombining already implemented models. From the software perspective it is straight forward to modify the local relaxation time. For illustration we can take a look at the declaration of the PowerLawBGKdynamics:

template <typename T, typename DESCRIPTOR, typename MOMENTA=momenta::BulkTuple>
    using PowerLawBGKdynamics = dynamics::Tuple<
      T, DESCRIPTOR,
      MOMENTA,
      equilibria::SecondOrder,
      powerlaw::OmegaFromCell<collision::BGK>
    >;

These dynamics consist of given momenta (bulk by default but changeable via template parameter), second order equilibrium and a BGK collision locally modified to compute the relaxation frequency omega from the cell via powerlaw::OmegaFromCell.

So in order to implement other non-Newtonian consitutive models you only need to implement the powerlaw::OmegaFromCell part and drop it into the declaration of your new dynamics. I would suggest to look at the code in src/dynamics/powerLawBGKdynamics.h for reference (also the various Smagorinsky-type LES dynamics where the same facilities are used).

For a very reduced overview:

template <typename COLLISION>
    struct CustomNonNewtonianOmegaFromCell {
      // [...]
      template <typename DESCRIPTOR, typename MOMENTA, typename EQUILIBRIUM>
      struct type {
        using MomentaF = typename MOMENTA::template type<DESCRIPTOR>;
        using CollisionO = typename COLLISION::template type<DESCRIPTOR, MOMENTA, EQUILIBRIUM>;

template <typename CELL, typename PARAMETERS, typename V=typename CELL::value_t>
        CellStatistic<V> apply(CELL& cell, PARAMETERS& parameters) any_platform
        {
          V rho, u[DESCRIPTOR::d], pi[util::TensorVal<DESCRIPTOR>::n] { };
          MomentaF().computeAllMomenta(cell, rho, u, pi); // momenta are computed here for usage in omega computation
          const V omega = // compute new omega here
          parameters.template set<descriptors::OMEGA>(omega); // default omega value is changed here
          return CollisionO().apply(cell, parameters); // arbitrary omega-accepting collision operator is called here
        }
      };
    };

Once this works our automatic code generator may be used to transparently transform this into performance optimized code.

I hope that this helps, feel free to ask further questions.

grasingerm
    Participant

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.