Skip to content

Phase change and deformation

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    behnamandi
    Participant

Hi, Im starting a project which involves extrusion of hot molten plastic with micro structures, therefore it is a phase change. first of all, i wanted to see if energy equations are added to any of the examples. and also if the deformation after cooling is considered in any of the examples in openlb?
    thanks, Ben

mgaedtke
    Keymaster

Hey Ben,

energy equations or, to be more specific, advection diffusion equation for the temperature is implemented openLB and its usage is shown in example thermal2d and thermal3d, see also here: https://youtu.be/buskqZlPdvI

By deformation after cooling you mean changes in the geometry resulting from the results of the simulation? There isn’t any kind of fluid structure interaction implement, yet.

Best, Max

behnamandi
    Participant

Hi Max,
    Thank you for the response. Yes, that is what I meant. Basically what the shape would look like after it has cooled off to a solid state.

mgaedtke
    Keymaster

Hey Ben,

you would need to implement any kind of coupling between the phase status and the tempereature in the LBM’s equation of state. There are some papers about that, but, for now, we do not have any of those methods in openLB. One student of mine is currently working on that topic, and we will see want we can do here, but please do not expect us to publish that too soon.

If you like to discuss the thermal phase changing coupling implementation in detail, we would like to call your attention to come to our spring school 🙂

Best, Max

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.