Skip to content

porousPlate2d

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Bhuttu
    Participant

I was trying to run the file named “porousPlate2d” and I got this message in every loop.
    “./tmp/imageData/data/heatMapphysTemperature.p”, line 22: Matrix does not represent a grid”

I am using GCC 7.5 and windows subsystem for linux 18.04LTS
    Simulation was still running without any problem.

mgaedtke
    Keymaster

Hi Bhuttu,

Good that simulation is still working. This is just a warning from the gnuplot interface and will be fixed in the upcoming release.

Thank’s for mentioning!

Best Regards,
    Max

Rookie
    Participant

Dear Max

I’m having a similar problem, after I add these lines to my code:
    vtmWriterStartTime.write(iT);
    SuperEuklidNorm3D<T> normVel(velocity);
    BlockReduction3D2D<T> planeReduction(normVel, {0, -1, 0}, 600, BlockDataSyncMode::ReduceOnly);
    // write output as JPEG
    heatmap::write(planeReduction, iT);

// write output as JPEG and changing properties
    heatmap::plotParam<T> jpeg_Param;
    jpeg_Param.name = “velocity”;
    jpeg_Param.contourlevel = 5;
    jpeg_Param.colour = “blackbody”;
    jpeg_Param.zoomOrigin = {0., 0.};
    jpeg_Param.zoomExtend = {1., 1.};
    heatmap::write(planeReduction, iT, jpeg_Param);

if I run it in parallel it runs fine, but if I don’t I get this error:
    “./channel/imageData/data/_EuklidNormphysVelocityiT0000000.p” line 21: Matrix does not represent a grid
    “./channel/imageData/data/_velocityiT0000000.p” line 27: Natrix does not represent a grid

But the picture for this step is actually output.Is it that the code can only run in parallel?

Best Regards,
    Rookie

Adrian
    Keymaster

Any OpenLB case can be executed sequentially (this is just parallel with nProcess=1 after all :-)).

We also sometimes observe such gnuplot warnings/errors on some systems – generally you should be able to ignore them. Just to confirm: The output is correct despite the error on your system?

(In general I would recommend to not rely on the gnuplot interface for any serious post-processing – it is neither good for performance (as the gnuplot process blocks execution of the simulation) nor convenient to re-plot results for large simulations without rerunning them.)

Rookie
    Participant

Dear Adrian

Yes, it outputs the image from step 0, and also as you said, this prevents the simulation from continuing. I just want to experiment more with what the code does, so I’d better remove that part of the code then.

Best Regards,
    Rookie

Adrian
    Keymaster

That is not what I meant by “blocks execution” – this referred to the simulation not being able to continue while gnuplot is executed to output a frame, reducing total performance.

So the program terminates after step 0 in your case?

Rookie
    Participant

Dear Adrian

It’s not terminated, it’s when I turn off parallelism that I get these problems, it outputs the image from step 0 and the simulation doesn’t move, it doesn’t break. Normally gnuplot itself doesn’t have problems due to serial mode. I guess it could be because of this gnuplot problem or the simulation slows down when parallelism is turned off. It could be that gnuplot is not suitable for non-parallel use in this code?

Best Regards,
    Rookie

mathias
    Keymaster

Dear Rookie,

if the Spring School doesn’t work for you, then maybe becoming a member of the consortium (https://www.openlb.net/consortium/) is an alternative option, because unfortunately I can’t provide such detailed support here.

Best regards,
    Mathias

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.