Skip to content

Smagorinsky method in AD lattice

OpenLB – Open Source Lattice Boltzmann Code Forums on OpenLB General Topics Smagorinsky method in AD lattice

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    hhan
    Participant

Dear Community,

I now want to use Smagorinsky method to simulate the convective diffusion problem of NS-coupled AD. I checked the source code and it seems that SmagorinskyBGKdynamics cannot be used for scalar lattices because this dynamic requires the calculation of momentum second moments. Do I need to apply LES to AD scalar lattices as well?

There is also a TAU_EFF LES method to calculate Omega, what is the principle of this, is there a reference paper? How should I choose ExternalTauEffLESForcedBGKdynamics and SmagorinskyBGKdynamics?

Thank you for reply!

FBukreev
    Keymaster

Hello,

you can couple turbulent NS simulation with AD using special coupler and AD dynamics.
    For AD lattice you can use the following descriptor and dynamics:

using ADDESCRIPTOR = D3Q7;
    using MOMENTA = momenta::AdvectionDiffusionBulkTuple;
    using ADBulkDynamics = dynamics::Tuple,AdvectionDiffusionExternalVelocityCollision>;

the coupler is declared as following:

SuperLatticeCoupling coupling(
    LESADECoupling{},
    names::NavierStokes{}, sLatticeNS,
    names::Concentration0{}, sLatticeAD);
    coupling.setParameter::SMAGORINSKY_PREFACTOR>(0.15);
    coupling.setParameter::SCHMIDT>(0.05); // turbulent Schmidt number for stabilization
    coupling.setParameter::OMEGA_NSE>(converter.getLatticeRelaxationFrequency());
    coupling.setParameter::OMEGA_ADE>(converter.getLatticeRelaxationFrequencyFromDiffusivity(diffusivity));

For the NS lattice you can apply standard SmagorinskyBGKdynamics.

Best wishes
    Fedor

hhan
    Participant

Dear Fedor,

Thank you for your reply!

Is the SCHMIDT number here physically dimensionless, or is it an empirical parameter?

FBukreev
    Keymaster

Schmidt number is dimensionless and can be between 0 and 1. 1 means no stabilization, closer to zero is artificial diffusion higher.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.